The thyroid gland is one of the most important glands in the human body. The thyroid is a butterfly-shaped gland in the front of the neck. It produces thyroid hormones which control the speed of metabolism.
The thyroid also helps body organs to function properly. Thyroid disorders can slow down metabolism by disrupting the production of thyroid hormones.
Thyroid surgery is also known as Thyroidectomy. It involves the removal of the complete or partial thyroid gland. Thyroid surgery is mainly performed to remove thyroid cancer.
Dr. Amit Chakraborty is a highly experienced, skillful and proficient Cancer Surgeon. He has performed lots of complex thyroid surgeries successfully.
Purpose of Thyroid Surgery
Thyroid surgery or Thyroidectomy is mainly perform for various reasons such as
- To treat Thyroid cancer
- To remove small growths on thyroid (cysts or nodules)
- To treat swelling or enlargement of thyroid gland. This is called Goiter.
- To control hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid) in pregnant women
- To treat hypothyroidism in case of failure of other drugs
Types of Thyroid Surgery
There are several different types of thyroid surgery. The most common are Lobectomy, Subtotal Thyroidectomy and Total Thyroidectomy.
Sometimes a nodule, inflammation or swelling affects only half of the thyroid gland. In such condition, doctor removes only one of the two lobes. This procedure is called as a Lobectomy.
2. Subtotal Thyroidectomy
A Subtotal Thyroidectomy includes removing the thyroid gland but leaving behind a small amount of thyroid tissue. This preserves some thyroid function. After undergoing Subtotal Thyroidectomy, many patients develop hypothyroidism. This is easily treated with daily hormone supplements.
3. Total Thyroidectomy
A Total Thyroidectomy surgery is used to remove the entire thyroid and the thyroid tissue. This surgery is the most effective to cure when nodules, swelling or inflammation affecting the entire thyroid gland or when cancer is present.
Procedure of Thyroid Surgery
- Cancer surgeons post-surgery, first of all, the heartbeat, the Patientsthe always discusses with the patient in detail about thyroid surgery type, its risk, procedure, recovery time, and post-surgery, discusses surgeons post-surgery care.
- Doctor, first of all, examines, the patient’s health conditions such as heartbeat, blood pressure and mental conditions.
- Doctor decides the date and time of surgery only after the confirmation of healthy conditions.
- Doctor performs thyroid surgery in the the the hospital only. Patients should not eat or drink anything before surgery.
- Patient is given general anesthesia before the surgery to sleep throughout the surgery procedures.
- The surgeon makes an incision over the thyroid gland and carefully removes all or part of the gland. The thyroid surgery procedure takes around 1-3 hrs as the thyroid gland is small and surrounded by nerves.
- After the surgery, doctor keeps patient under observation for 24-48 hrs and monitors the patient’s health condition and progress.
Dr. Amit Chakraborty is popular and specialized in thyroid cancer surgery in Mumbai, India. He is an expert in Papillary, Follicular, Hurthle cell, and Medullary thyroid cancer.
Care after Thyroid surgery
- Every patient should strictly follow doctor’s all instructions and suggestions to avoid complications in the future.
- Patient should avoid strenuous activities.
- Patient should take all the prescribed medicines as per the scheduled only.
Thyroid Cancer is preventable and curable. Today various advanced treatments are developed to cure and control Thyroid cancer. Dr Amit Cancer Care Clinic is a well equipped with advanced medical technology to provide world class treatments to all types of cancer patients. Dr Amit Cancer Care Clinic strictly follows all the medical standards for the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of cancer disease.
Dr. Amit Chakraborty
Dr. Amit Chakraborty is a Surgical Oncologist in Mumbai, India, and has experience of 15 years of in this field. He is a well-known cancer specialist with expertise in diagnosing and treating head and neck cancer.
Patient Reviews & Feedback
3563+ Happy Patients
- Vandana Sharma
Best Cancer Surgeon. Dr Amit Chakraborty is a very kind, supportive and skillful Cancer Surgeon. He has treated and cured numerous complicated Throat, Neck and Mouth cancer cases successfully.
- Pranit Patil
A special thanks to Dr Amit Chakraborty, Amit Cancer Care, one of the finest Oncosurgeons in India and such a delightful personality! I simply cannot thank him much for his relentless efforts in treating my father. He has a magic in his words while explaining things calmly. He is the one who boosted confidence in the 1st visit itself and everything sounded so easy after in his presence. All the best Dr.Amit for your future endeavors!
Blogs & Videos
Lip Cancer: Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis & TreatmentBlog By Dr. Amit Chakraborty Cancer Surgeon Ask Dr. Amit Chakraborty *Our Patient support team is ready to connect with you for all your queries & concerns Lip cancer is a severe...
Stage 1 Tongue Cancer: Signs, Symptoms, and TreatmentBlog By Dr. Amit Chakraborty Cancer Surgeon Ask Dr. Amit Chakraborty *Our Patient support team is ready to connect with you for all your queries & concerns Tongue cancer is a...
Navigating Thyroid Cancer: Treatment and Success RatesThyroid cancer is a concerning diagnosis for anyone, but it's essential to understand that it can often be treated successfully. In this comprehensive guide. We will explore the various aspects...
Late Stage Thyroid Cancer Survival RateNavigating the complex landscape of thyroid cancer, especially at its late stages, can be challenging and daunting. In this blog, we aim to shed light on the subject by discussing the survival rate of late-stage thyroid cancer,...
Can Homeopathy Cure Head and Neck Cancer?Blog By Dr. Amit Chakraborty Cancer Surgeon Ask Dr. Amit Chakraborty *Our Patient support team is ready to connect with you for all your queries & concerns When diagnosed with cancer, patients...
Does Oral Cancer Occur Only at a Specific Age?Blog By Dr. Amit Chakraborty Cancer Surgeon Ask Dr. Amit Chakraborty *Our Patient support team is ready to connect with you for all your queries & concerns Head and neck cancer is a common...