Parotid Surgery involves the removal of Parotid Gland. A Parotid Gland is a major salivary gland in humans. The two Parotid glands are present on either side of the mouth and in front of both ears.
They are the largest of the salivary glands. The parotid gland secretes serous saliva to facilitate chewing and swallowing.
The procedure of Parotid surgery is known as Parotidectomy which mainly involves the removal of benign or malignant tumors present in the Parotid gland. The majority of Parotid gland tumors are benign.
Dr. Amit Chakraborty is a very skillful, well-known, and capable cancer surgeon. He has performed lots of complicated Head and neck cancer and throat cancer surgeries successfully.
Major Types of Parotid Surgery
A cancer surgeon decides the most effective type of Parotid surgery as per the location of the tumor, type of tumor, and severity of the tumor present in the parotid gland. Major types of parotid surgery include:
1. Superficial Parotidectomy:
This is the most common type of parotid surgery. It involves removing the entire gland superficial to the facial nerve whereas a partial superficial parotidectomy involves removing only the portion of the gland surrounding a tumor or mass.
In a partial superficial parotidectomy, only some branches of the facial nerve are dissected while in a formal superficial parotidectomy, the entire cervicofacial and temporofacial divisions are dissected.
2. Total Parotidectomy:
This involves the removal of the entire parotid gland, including the superficial and deep lobes. Total Parotidectomy is typically performed if the neoplasm is affecting the deep part of the parotid gland. This method can be done by using the transcervical surgical approach.
Preparation for Parotid Surgery
- Before the staring of Parotid surgery procedure, Cancer Surgeon discusses with the patient in detail. Doctors inform patient everything about surgery type, its risk, recovery period and post surgery precautions.
- Doctor confirms patient’s health conditions such as heart rate, blood pressure and mental stability before actual starting of procedure.
- Patient should eat or drink as per the doctor’s advice only.
- Every patient should inform doctor if he/she is suffering from fever, productive cough or any other signs of infection.
- Doctor gives medical clearance after the accurate evaluation of body and then patient is given general anesthesia before the surgery.
- On the day of surgery, patient should come at hospital a few hours before the scheduled operation. This helps the nurses and anesthesiologist to confirm everything is in good order for the successful surgery.
The Procedure of Parotid Surgery
- During the surgery procedure, the patient is under general anesthesia.
- A Parotidectomy is done via an incision just in front of the ear in a natural skin crease that extends down into a natural skin crease in the neck. This allows the surgeon to hide the scar as much as possible rather than making an incision directly in the middle of the face.
- When the tumor is in the deep lobe of the parotid gland the doctor makes an incision in the neck.
- At the end of the procedure, the surgeon places a small drain temporarily coming out of the skin to drain any fluid or blood that collects in the surgical area.
- After the successful surgery, the patient is kept under observation for 1-2 days. Based on the progress of the patient, the doctor allows the patient to go home.
- The doctor prescribes necessary medicines for faster recovery and to relieve pain.
- It is very important for a patient to take medicine properly and follow the doctor’s instructions strictly.
The recovery time is depending on the extent and type of procedure. Patients should immediately consult a Parotid cancer doctor in Mumbai in case of any persistent side effects.
Today various advanced surgical techniques are developed to cure Parotid surgery completely. Dr. Amit Cancer Care Clinic is well equipped with modern medical facilities to treat as well as cure all types and stages of cancer.
Dr. Amit Cancer Care Clinic maintains all the essential medical standards for the prevention, treatment, and control of cancer.
Dr. Amit Chakraborty
Dr. Amit Chakraborty is a Surgical Oncologist in Mumbai, India, and has experience of 15 years of in this field. He is a well-known cancer specialist with expertise in diagnosing and treating head and neck cancer.
Patient Reviews & Feedback
3563+ Happy Patients
- Vandana Sharma
Best Cancer Surgeon. Dr Amit Chakraborty is a very kind, supportive and skillful Cancer Surgeon. He has treated and cured numerous complicated Throat, Neck and Mouth cancer cases successfully.
- Pranit Patil
A special thanks to Dr Amit Chakraborty, Amit Cancer Care, one of the finest Oncosurgeons in India and such a delightful personality! I simply cannot thank him much for his relentless efforts in treating my father. He has a magic in his words while explaining things calmly. He is the one who boosted confidence in the 1st visit itself and everything sounded so easy after in his presence. All the best Dr.Amit for your future endeavors!
Blogs & Videos
Lip Cancer: Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis & TreatmentBlog By Dr. Amit Chakraborty Cancer Surgeon Ask Dr. Amit Chakraborty *Our Patient support team is ready to connect with you for all your queries & concerns Lip cancer is a severe...
Stage 1 Tongue Cancer: Signs, Symptoms, and TreatmentBlog By Dr. Amit Chakraborty Cancer Surgeon Ask Dr. Amit Chakraborty *Our Patient support team is ready to connect with you for all your queries & concerns Tongue cancer is a...
Navigating Thyroid Cancer: Treatment and Success RatesThyroid cancer is a concerning diagnosis for anyone, but it's essential to understand that it can often be treated successfully. In this comprehensive guide. We will explore the various aspects...
Late Stage Thyroid Cancer Survival RateNavigating the complex landscape of thyroid cancer, especially at its late stages, can be challenging and daunting. In this blog, we aim to shed light on the subject by discussing the survival rate of late-stage thyroid cancer,...
Can Homeopathy Cure Head and Neck Cancer?Blog By Dr. Amit Chakraborty Cancer Surgeon Ask Dr. Amit Chakraborty *Our Patient support team is ready to connect with you for all your queries & concerns When diagnosed with cancer, patients...
Does Oral Cancer Occur Only at a Specific Age?Blog By Dr. Amit Chakraborty Cancer Surgeon Ask Dr. Amit Chakraborty *Our Patient support team is ready to connect with you for all your queries & concerns Head and neck cancer is a common...