Let’s Pledge To Conquer Cancer
There are many diseases like Heart Failure and others which have a worse prognosis or a higher death ratio in the world. But still today, Cancer is considered as a Taboo in the society. People are afraid of the word “Cancer”. There are lots of misunderstandings about Cancer diseases due to insufficient information or lack of awareness among people. Once upon a time, Cancer was known as a disease of rich people only but the medical science has proved that it was just a myth or misconception. Cancer can occur at any time, at any age to anyone.
Although, Cancer is the most complex disease, it can be easily preventable and curable if it is detected at the earliest stage. Every cancer patient should not afraid of cancer; instead he/she should conquer the disease confidently. Cancer patients are increasing rapidly due various reasons such as environmental conditions, Pollution, unhealthy lifestyle, hormonal changes and bad eating habits. Dr Amit Charkraborty is a proficient, skillful and well experienced Cancer Surgeon. He has treated lots of complicated cancer cases successfully.
Common types of Cancer
Medical science has identified around 200 types of cancer. The most common types of cancer are:
- Non-Melanoma Skin Cancer
Non-melanoma skin cancer starts in the cells of the skin. Most common types are Squamous cell carcinoma, Basal cell cancer and Melanoma.
- Lung Cancer
Lung Cancer starts in the Lungs. Smoking is the main cause of the Lung Cancer.
- Breast Cancer
Breast cancer is caused by uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells in the breast. Breast Cancer is the most common in women.
- Prostate Cancer
This type of cancer develops in the tissues inside the prostate gland and the most common cancer affecting men.
- Colorectal Cancer
Colorectal cancer is also known as bowel cancer, colon cancer or rectal cancer. It starts in the colon or the rectum.
- Bladder Cancer
In this type, cancerous tumor develops in the bladder. Most common symptom is blood in urine.
This is another type of skin cancer. Melanoma frequently begins in moles.
- Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma
NHL cancer starts in the Lymphatic system. In non–Hodgkin’s lymphoma, tumors develop from lymphocytes which are a type of white blood cells.
- Kidney Cancer
Kidney Cancer starts in the Kidneys due to uncontrolled growth of cells. This is also known as renal cancer.
Leukemia is a cancer of the blood or bone marrow. It begins in a cell in the bone marrow.
Symptoms of Cancer
Generally, cancer symptoms are depending on the types of cancer. Common Cancer symptoms are:
- Skin changes such as a new mole or a change in an existing mole and a sore that does not heal
- Breast changes like change in size or shape of the breast or nipple, change in texture of breast skin
- A thickening or lump on or under the skin
- Hoarseness or continuous coughing
- Changes in bowel habits
- Difficult or painful urination
- Problems with eating such as difficulty in swallowing, changes in appetite and discomfort after eating
- Weight gain or loss with unknown reason
- Abdominal pain
- Unexplained night sweats
- Unusual bleeding or discharge like blood in the urine, vaginal bleeding and blood in the stool
- Feeling weak or extreme tiredness
Diagnosis of Cancer
Timely diagnosis is very important to remove cancer. Doctor can use one or more tests to diagnose cancer. Various tests include:
- Physical Examination
Doctor performs physical examination of patient to look for lump or tumor, changes in skin color and enlargement of organ.
- Laboratory Tests
It includes Blood and Urine tests to identify abnormalities in the blood.
- Imaging Test:
These tests include CT scan, PET, MRI and X-rays to examine bones and internal organs.
During a biopsy, doctor collects a sample of cells for testing in the laboratory.
Treatment of Cancer
Cancer treatment is mainly depending on the type and stage of cancer.
Surgery is done to remove cancerous tumor from the body.
Chemotherapy uses drugs to kill cancer cells.
- Radiation Therapy
Radiation therapy uses high-powered energy beams, such as X-rays or protons to kill cancer cells.
- Bone Marrow Transplant
It is also known as Stem Cells Transplant.
Immunotherapy is also known as biological therapy. It uses body’s immune system to fight cancer.
- Hormone Therapy
This therapy involves removing damaged hormones from the body or blocking their effects to stop cancer cells from growing.
- Targeted drug therapy
Targeted drug treatment focuses on the specific abnormalities within cancer cells which allow them to survive.
Prevention of Cancer
- Cancer is easily preventable by adapting healthy lifestyle. People should strictly avoid smoking, tobacco and alcohol.
- People should regularly eat healthy diet such as green leafy vegetables, fresh fruits and foods rich in omega 3 fatty acids.
- Regular intake of junk foods, baked foods and processed foods should be stopped.
- Maintaining healthy weight, protection from direct sun light, timely vaccination are also very important steps to prevent cancer.
- Regular self-examination and screenings are useful for early detection of cancer.
Cancer and Technology
- Medical science is changing rapidly. Cancer specialists are using various advanced techniques to provide best and most effective treatment to cancer patients.
- Today Cancer Surgeons are performing most of the surgeries by minimally invasive technique than traditional way. The Minimally Invasive surgery has lost of benefits such as less blood loss, minimal pain, faster recovery, higher success rate, less hospital stay and less surgical time.
- Every day, lots of clinical trials are going on in the world just for the betterment of cancer patients.
Cancer and Willpower
- Strong willpower always boosts patient’s confidence to defeat any severe disease. Every cancer patient should not afraid of cancer rather he/she should fight the cancer strongly.
- Patient’s family plays a crucial role in conquering cancer. Family members should always motivate patient to overcome cancer.
- Strong determination, hopefulness, positive attitude and fighting spirit always encourage cancer patients to take challenges.
Dr. Amit Chakraborty has established himself as one of the most proficient Cancer Surgeon in the field of Oncology. He is one of the well known and respected Cancer Surgeons in India. Dr Amit Cancer Care Clinic is a well equipped with advanced medical technology to provide all types of cancer treatment.
Every cancer patient should take a pledge to win a victory over cancer disease.
Dr. Amit Chakraborty
Dr. Amit Chakraborty is a Surgical Oncologist in Girgaon, Mumbai and has an experience of 15 years in this field. He is a well known cancer specialist with an expertise in diagnosing and treating head and neck cancer.