How Do You Detect Throat Cancer Early?
Throat cancer occurs when cancer cells develop in the throat or voice box. The throat is a flexible tube-like organ that runs from the back of your nose to the neck and comprises tendons and muscles.
Flat cells present on the interior of your throat are the most common place for throat cancer to form. In addition, the voice box, located in the neck, is at the highest risk of throat cancer. This disease tends to grow fast; therefore, getting it treated on time is necessary.
Can you catch throat cancer early?
Different forms of throat cancer can be detected early, such as laryngeal and nasopharyngeal tumours. In addition, they are often accompanied by symptoms such as abnormalities invoice.
Various indications are also observed in less severe, benign (non-cancerous) illnesses and other types of cancer. Therefore, you must consult a doctor to determine the cause of your discomfort. The earlier the source of the problem is identified, the quicker you can address it.
How would I know if I had throat cancer?
Tumour location affects the signs of throat cancer. For example, throat cancer symptoms might include any or all of the following:
- Pain in throat – A swollen lymph node might be the source of the bump in your neck. A typical sign of throat cancer and perhaps other neck and head malignancies is the enlargement of one or even more lymph nodes in the neck. Lumps that appear and then disappear aren’t generally the result of cancer. Cancer often begins as a bit of nodule that steadily becomes larger.
- Your throat hurts – Among the most prevalent signs of throat cancer is persistent severe pain in the throat.
- Tongue Inflammation – Certain types of throat cancer, particularly those linked with such an HPV infection, are related to tongue swelling.
- Discomfort or a scorching feeling may be felt during chewing and consuming food in those with throat cancer. The throat may feel like it’s been clogged up with food.
- Voicing shifts – Your voice may be affected if you have throat cancer. You may have a weird voice. Depending on the severity of the illness, it may be louder, huskier, or sound like you’re always sick. A few of your sentences may be slurred or difficult to pronounce.
- Loss of weight – Many kinds of cancer are associated with weight loss as a symptom. It is possible to lose weight due to throat cancer since eating and swallowing may be uncomfortable.
What does throat cancer feel like?
Globus is the term used to describe the feeling of a bulge in the throat. Globus is a lump-like feeling caused by several conditions, like acid reflux, seasonal allergies, and throat cancer.
You might have a lot of difficulties swallowing food and feel as if food is getting stuck in your throat.
When should I worry about a lump in my throat?
Suppose you have a recurring lump in the throat or conjunction with other symptoms such as unexplainable loss of body weight, pain while eating, or trouble swallowing.
In that case, it’s advisable to contact your healthcare professional. Some disorders, though, might first imitate a globus feeling. Although globus feeling may be the first symptom of developing cancer, other signs will follow.
For example, if you sometimes have a lump in the throat, keep an eye out for any other indications. Being aware of changes in your symptoms might help you identify any potential health issues before they become more severe.
How To Protect Yourself?
In addition to a history of tobacco and alcohol use, there are other possible causes for getting throat cancer. However, it is possible to reduce your chance of acquiring throat cancer by taking steps such as those listed below:
- Take part in a healthy lifestyle by eating a well-balanced diet rich in fruits and vegetables.
- Reduce the number of sexual partners you have and use condoms to protect yourself against the HPV virus. An HPV vaccination is now accessible for young females, males, and teenagers who are at risk of contracting the virus.
- Quit smoking
- Reduce or eliminate your use of alcoholic beverages.
Throat cancer is among the many forms of cancer that may damage the throat. However, not everybody who gets this malignancy has risk factors like drinking aand smoking excessively.
Therefore, you should consult a cancer specialist when unexplained symptoms like a shaky voice or painful throat don’t disappear quickly. Cancers of such kind can be prevented from further spreading and can be cured by early detection.
Consult our cancer expert to learn more about the early detection of throat cancer.
Dr. Amit Chakraborty
Dr. Amit Chakraborty is a Surgical Oncologist in Girgaon, Mumbai and has an experience of 15 years in this field. He is a well known cancer specialist with an expertise in diagnosing and treating head and neck cancer.